Tuesday 2 October 2012

The Romance of My Daughters


Around the late 80s or early 90s, my daughters Julie and Susan started their romances.

Julie paired up with Mr Jeow, an IT engineer. He turned out to be my past pupil, someone I had taught in Sec 2.

Julie and Jeow started dating and soon made plans to wed. Susan had quite a few admirers but her relationships with them did not end well.

One serious chap tried very hard to win her heart, even enlisting my help, but to no avail. He was flatly turned down. Susan's second suitor was the son of a businessman who would ask his company staff to deliver presents to our house. They dated for a year or two ('91-'92) and told us they wanted to get married. My wife and I did not object but we thought we should let Julie proceed first as she was the elder and already planning her wedding.

However, Susan's relationship with this young man stopped suddenly. Till this day, we do not know the reason(s) and she did not tell us. Unlike Julie, Susan could not communicate well with me and my wife at the time. But she did help out at Julie's wedding, which was held at the Ritz Carlton hotel. It was a small affair of about 20 tables. I did not invite my relatives nor friends; it was mostly theirs. After the wedding, the couple flew to the U.S. for their honeymoon.

Susan didn't take her break-up too badly but she did sort of blame us for not letting her get married when she'd asked. I found it a blessing for if a relationship could be broken off so easily, it meant it was not built on solid foundation in the first place. Susan's life soon went back to normal.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice and interesting post.
    Thank You!
    https://www.destinationslab.com/

    ReplyDelete